A 40% budget increase in Ohio. Opportunity Ohio released an analysis of Governor Kasich’s proposed budget data. The results highlight the amount of spending that Ohio has engaged in under Governor Kasich’s six years of budgeting. The amount of spending is staggering considering that Governor Kasich considers himself a fiscal conservative.
Here are a few key highlights from Governor Kasich’s actual and proposed budgets:
• From Governor Kasich’s first year to his proposed sixth year, Ohio’s budget will grow by 40.14%;
• The projected budgetary growth under Governor Kasich would outpace every gubernatorial tenure since 1991 by 15 percentage points;
• Unless spending slows and/or revenues exceed the average growth since 2001, Ohio will begin running deficits in 2016;
• If the next budget grows at the same rate as the last three budgets, Ohio’s budget will surpass $42.3 billion in FY2019;
• If the projections below hold, Governor Kasich will have presided over a stunning 60.6% explosion in the state spending during his tenure; and
• If revenues grow at the same rate (excluding the high and low years), Ohio’s revenues will hit $35.1 billion in FY2019, resulting in a $7.2 billion one-year deficit and $12.6 billion two-year deficit.
Read the full report at Opportunity Ohio.